In addition to the three or five years after receiving your green card (unless you are applying on the basis of qualified military service), you must also meet the following requirements to complete the naturalization process and become a U.S. citizen: CitizenPath`s self-directed service makes it easy to create USCIS forms. Our lawyer-developed platform will help you eliminate common mistakes that lead to delays, rejections, and even rejections. The low-cost service also provides alerts if you answer a question in a way that might be a problem. We make sure you meet all citizenship requirements before you apply. Most people can prepare the naturalization package in a few hours. If you were born outside the United States and your American parents did not register your birth with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you can apply for a birth in the United States. Passport, but you need: If the embassy or consulate has not issued a CRBA and you are 18 years of age or older, learn how to get a citizenship certificate. This document proves your U.S. citizenship and can be obtained from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

You must renew your permanent resident card before applying for citizenship if: If you have a U.S. spouse, you can apply for U.S. citizenship in three years instead of the normal five years. This shorter amount of time can be incredibly useful, but it also requires careful planning to get all the necessary paperwork and fill out the required forms. So the best approach is to start planning right away! If you divorce your U.S. spouse three years ago, you no longer qualify for the three-year rule and must apply under the five-year rule. While this may seem like a setback, it still represents a path to citizenship even after your marriage ends. As part of the interview, the USCIS officer will ask you questions about your application and determine your eligibility for U.S. citizenship. If you apply under the three-year rule, you may face questions and tests about whether you have a real marriage and whether you have really “lived in a conjugal relationship.” If you are the widow or widower of a U.S. citizen who died during honorable service in the U.S. Army (and you were living with them at the time of their death), you can apply for U.S.

citizenship at any time, as long as you have a green card at the time of your citizenship interview. You do not need to have held a green card for a certain number of years or have physically lived in the United States for a number of months before applying. During this interview, a USCIS official will verify that all information on your naturalization application is accurate. The interview usually takes place at the nearest USCIS office. If you are applying from abroad, you will attend the interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate. If you are on active military service, your interview may take place at a military facility. Their criminal past is closely scrutinized. If you have committed a crime that could deport you, such as immigration fraud, drug addiction, or domestic violence, it is especially important to seek legal help before applying for naturalization. To be eligible, you must have lived continuously in the United States for the five years immediately preceding the date you file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. The Immigration and Nationality Act (Title III, Chapter 2) sets out all citizenship requirements for 5-year permanent residency. We will break it down here in simple terms.

The table below summarizes the most common groups of people eligible for naturalization and when they can apply, followed by a more detailed explanation below: After your citizenship interview, you will receive a mailed notification with the date, time, and location of the ceremony (usually a local courthouse or USCIS office). The time it takes to plan the ceremony varies by state. Once naturalized, your children automatically receive citizenship, even if they were born abroad. If your child was born outside the United States, be sure to inform the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Obtaining citizenship after a green card is the most common route for the vast majority of naturalization applicants, although some foreign-born military or veterans may also be eligible. Boundless has more details on exemptions for the citizenship test. If you choose to work with Boundless and RapidVisa, our dedicated team of specialists can also guide you through the requirements and preparation for English and civics tests.

There are other requirements to apply for U.S. citizenship. First, pay your taxes! You will have to file federal income tax returns for three or five years, depending on the rule under which you apply. Your application won`t be considered without them, so make sure you`re up to date with your taxes. The processing time for naturalization, from submitting your citizenship application to attending the oath of allegiance ceremony, is currently between 18.5 and 24 months. Boundless has prepared a detailed guide on the steps of the naturalization process and the duration of each. The next step is to schedule your biometric appointment — essentially taking your fingerprints — at your local USCIS office. As with the family green card process, USCIS takes your fingerprints upon naturalization to perform a background check. The fingerprint appointment usually takes place about a month after you receive your application for U.S. citizenship from USCIS. To apply in this eligibility category, you must be at least 18 years old. Another requirement is that men between the ages of 18 and 26 must register for selective service and provide proof upon naturalization as U.S.

citizens. The selective service is a government agency that stores information about those who might be subject to future conscripts. Lack of registration can be a significant issue for male green card holders who wish to become U.S. citizens. Anyone who has become a green card holder after reaching the age of 26 is not required to meet this requirement. If you were born in the United States and there is no birth certificate on file, you will need several different documents to prove your citizenship: If you have dual citizenship and plan to travel to or from the United States, you must use a U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States. If you have a permanent resident who is married to a U.S. citizen, you can naturalize after only three years.

A licensed lawyer trained in citizenship issues can help you with questions about your situation. A local bar can often give a good recommendation. Yes, naturalization is the process by which an immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen after meeting certain requirements, while citizenship applies to anyone who is a U.S. citizen, whether born in the U.S. or outside the U.S. Second, never register to vote or pretend to be a U.S. citizen on any paper. before being naturalized. This is essential because USCIS takes these actions very seriously and will result in a lengthy delay or eventual denial of your petition.

They are threatened with deportation. The first three questions of the naturalization form concern voting and voter registration. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you should seek legal advice immediately before applying for citizenship. Citizenship and naturalization certificates are proof of your U.S. citizenship. If this all sounds complicated and intimidating, don`t worry! We`ve partnered with RapidVisa to help you complete your citizenship application and guide you to the finish line. Together, we`ll help you track interview preparation, follow-up forms, and any other important steps along the way. In the future, you will no longer have to go through the rigamarole of filling out forms with USCIS. This means there are no more registration fees, no more renewals or green card replacements, and you no longer need to register in the United States.